It has been a wild ride for Balance365 co-founder Jennifer Campbell, who, after many years of an ongoing struggle to find true self-love, was able to settle into a balanced life and peace with her body. Jen tells us all about her experience as a model from the age of 14 to 19, which set her on a path to trying every diet under the sun (seriously, there’s nothing she hasn’t tried) and even began to hate her body during and after her pregnancies. Ultimately, she came to understand that her journey had caused her physical and mental damage, and slowly, by forming new habits and mindset changes, her pendulum began to settle in the center. This is an emotional, but important, episode.
What You’ll Hear in this Episode
- All about Jen’s modeling career and the toll it took
- Messages about women’s bodies and how they have changed in the 1990s, 2000s, and today
- Experiencing body changes in pregnancy and depression
- Seeking validation from your partner when you don’t love your body
- Feeling like your body is “damaged goods” after pregnancy
- How just one thought caused Jen to start her journey of change
- How some of the worst diets Jen has been on were recommended by medical doctors
- Scientific studies that disproved a lot of accepted weight loss methods
- Bias in medicine and how medical professionals buy into diet culture
- How Jade Beall’s viral photography helped Jen to realize she could celebrate her body
- Being a healthy, balanced role model for your children
- How Jen has gotten to the point of merely observing, not reacting, to weight loss and gain
- Episode 9: Two Sisters, Two Bodies: Growing up Together in a Body Obsessed World
- Dr. Gabor Mate
- Episode 4: What a 70-Year-Old Starvation Experiment Taught Us About Dieting
- Jade Beall Photography
- Episode 35: To Calorie Count or Not To Calorie Count?
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.