What happens when industry professionals are struggling with their own relationships around food and fitness? Professionals working in the health and wellness industry are often seen as experts and are expected to exemplify health. Jen, Annie, and Lauren get real about the dark side of the fitness and wellness industry.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- The prevalence of disordered eating among fitness professionals and dieticians
- Bad diet advice from reputable sources like doctors and personal trainers
- The risk of taking advice from people with untreated eating disorders
- Symptoms of disordered eating
- Industry pressures on fitness instructors to look the part
- The rise of the influencer and decline of accurate health and wellness information
- Weight bias and how it makes sources appear more or less credible
- Popularity and how it impacts the perception of credibility
- Evaluating the accuracy of health information and dubious claims
- Things industry professionals will do to portray an image of success even if it’s not real
- The case of the stolen before and after photos
- Red flags to watch out for with wellness professionals
- Things to consider when hiring a wellness professional
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.