**** We want our listeners to know that this episode mentions assault****
Jen, Annie and Lauren are joined by Heather Plett, a coach, facilitator and author of a powerful blog post that looks at the dynamics of parenting while you do your own healing work. Healing emotional wounds can take time and effort and doing so while responsible for the wellbeing of others can feel daunting. Heather has some practical tips of how to function as a mom and build better relationships with your kids as you sift through your own baggage.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How kids respond to mistreatment
- Intergenerational trauma
- How kids are impacted by their parents’ trauma
- How much is too much to share or too little to share?
- Age-appropriate sharing
- Reassuring your kids you know how to take care of yourself when triggered
- What to do when shame stories show up
- Apologizing to your kids
- Having boundaries with our kids and helping them have boundaries
- Holding boundaries when others resist
- Evaluating the messages we send to our kids about boundaries
- Learning how not to take things personally
- The value of friendships and the support of other parents
- Vulnerability and friendship, why it’s important to let people in
- Is it ever too late to start your own healing work?
- Parenting and loneliness
- Raising Kids While We Do Our Own Healing Work
- Heather’s website
- Heather’s Facebook Page
- Heather’s Instagram
- Balance365 Workshop
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.