Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android
If you’re a parent, you might be aware of fitness trackers for kids and your kid might even be asking for one. But are they really a good idea? Jen, Annie, and Lauren discuss this complex issue to help arm you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Fitness tracker related issues with adults
- Looking at the needs and risk factors of your child
- Perfectionism as a risk factor for disordered eating and exercise
- Competition as a motivator
- Gamification of movement – is it good or bad?
- Age-appropriate tracking and awareness
- The ethics of mass marketing to kids
- How tracking can impact how your kid views food and exercise
- Black and white thinking in children and how that relates to food and fitness
- The prevalence of dieting and food issues among children
- Being mindful of your own relationship with tracking as a parent
- How you talk to your kids about their tracked data
- Apps and data privacy – who knows what about your kids?
- Extreme solutions and considering moderation
- The bandwagon effect on kids and adults
- Episode 36: Tracking Weight, Steps, Food: When It Hurts, When It Helps
- Episode 16: Feeding Our Families – Growing Healthy Relationships With Food
- The Great Hack
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.