Emotional eating can be a real challenge in finding balance. Sometimes there is a sense of helplessness to it. In today’s podcast, Josh Hillis shares his emotional eating coaching strategy to help our listeners find new ways to cope with stress that doesn’t always revolve around food.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How effective are cravings control strategies when you have emotional eating issues?
- Is the answer to emotional eating more control?
- The emotional release effect when you emotionally eat after tight control
- The role of acceptance in emotional eating
- Normalizing the existence of uncomfortable emotions.
- Diffusing uncomfortable emotions – what does that mean?
- Gaining perspective around the perceived urgency of feelings
- The role of mindfulness in managing negative emotions
- Defining emotional or disinhibited eating
- Learning to let the monsters ride the bus
- Being in the driver’s seat of how you deal with feelings
- Introducing a waiting period to delay emotional eating
- The value of taking time to identify feelings
- Ways to scale and create distance between you and your feelings
- Three ways to feel comfortable with your feelings without using food
- Managing expectations of emotional eating – moving past all or nothing
- Psychological flexibility as a goal, defined.
- Identifying and being aware of your “monsters”
- Thought suppression and the health and wellness industry sales tactics
- Frequency and emotional eating
- Rules vs Self-Loving Guidelines
- Tracking progress – things you can track
- Josh’s Blog
- Fat Loss Happens On Monday
- Everything You Know About Emotional Eating is Wrong – blog post Annie quotes
- Mothers, Daughters and Body Image – Hillary McBride’s book
- Episode 42: Getting Older: Hillary Mcbride On Women And Aging
- Episode 13: How Your Body Image Impacts Your Children With Hillary Mcbride
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.