Can you really control your weight? There are two schools of thought on this: one believes that nothing is within our control and the other believes everything is within our control. But what if the truth is somewhere in the middle? Annie and Lauren explore just how much control we have over our weight and provide helpful perspective on an age-old question.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- What studies say about how much genes influence weight
- What studies say about how much genes influence height
- Twin Studies, The Secrets of The Eating Lab and The Minnesota Starvation Experiment
- How we adjust our eating when we feel we are being observed
- The two camps: we can control all the things and we can control none of the things
- How much control do we really have over our weight?
- How your body responds to decreases in calories
- Ideal weight vs ideal weight range
- What happens when you try to “pause” on an escalator
- Process versus outcome goals
- How weight range relates to body composition
- Getting clear on your goals
- How your pre-disposed body type relates to your weight
- How to find your weight range
- Episode 53: Secrets From The Eating Lab: Dr. Traci Mann
- Secrets From the Eating Lab
- Episode 9: Two Sisters, Two Bodies: Growing Up Together In A Body Obsessed World
- Episode 4: What A 70-year-old Starvation Experiment Taught Us About Dieting
- Body Respect
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.