Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android
As humans we like to simplify our lives by labelling things in black and white terms. Balance365, as we know, likes to celebrate the messy middle, and the nutritional perspective is no exception. Annie and Lauren discuss the repercussions of applying healthy and unhealthy labels to foods and what it all means in a broader context. Enjoy!
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Can we label foods as healthy or unhealthy?
- Is there room in the middle?
- The downside of labelling foods as healthy
- The healthy halo effect, what it is and why it happens
- Financial privilege and labelling food as healthy or unhealthy
- Zooming out and looking at diet as a whole
- What is mono eating?
- What happens when you under or overeat “healthy foods”
- Cutting out food groups – what could go wrong?
- The Twinkie Diet – would you really want to do it?
- The Pink Polar Bear effect and food we have labelled as unhealthy
- The role of food neutrality in your relationship with food
- The power and allure of labelling a food as unhealthy
- The moderation challenge- balancing “unhealthy foods” with “healthier” choices
- Healing your relationship with food by removing the labels
- Can Kale and Cheetos co-exist?
- The subjectivity of healthy and unhealthy as labels for food
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.