Secrets from the Eating Lab Author Dr. Traci Mann, professor of Psychology at the University of Minnesota and an expert on the psychology of eating, dieting and self-control joins Jen, Annie and Lauren in discussing the science behind the hot topics of self-control, temptation, diets and the alternative to dieting.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How much of our weight can we influence?
- How much of our weight is influenced by genetics?
- The concept of the Leanest Livable Weight
- Goal weights and reasonable ranges
- Weight regain and dieting – how common is it?
- Why you regain weight after dieting
- What happens to your body when you go on a diet
- What you start to notice when you go on a diet
- Is weight regain guaranteed?
- Characteristic of people who keep weight off
- The role of healthy movement you enjoy in maintaining weight loss
- Self-control: who struggles with it and can you increase it?
- The obesogenic environment: what it is
- Temptation free checkouts and apple bins, reducing the need for willpower at the grocery store
- The role of small obstacles and inconveniences
- Making healthy choices convenient to increase compliance
- Keeping the focus on health instead of weight
- Secrets from the Eating Lab
- Dr. Mann’s Facebook Page
- Dr. Mann on Twitter
- Episode 4: What A 70-year-old Starvation Experiment Taught Us About Dieting
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.