Diet culture is often so subtle that it can be hard to even identify. On today’s episode Jen, Lauren and Annie tackle the big topic of diet culture: what it is, what it looks like, how it’s harmful and some practical advice on how we can begin to dismantle this hurtful, oppressive system. While this topic is broad and deep, this conversation is the tip of the iceberg and a thought-starter for future conversations.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- What is diet culture, what does it look like, what does it sound like?
- Before and after photos – why are they problematic?
- The impacts of diet culture on the individual, family, and community
- Making informed choices as consumers to support or not support diet culture
- How socio-economic factors impact health
- Thin privilege and how it impacts lives
- Health, race, and representation in images of health
- How kids are impacted by diet culture
- How different healthy weight is for women individually
- Diet culture and how it creates weight gain
- How to turn diet culture around
- Nourishment as a concept that goes beyond food
- Curating your environment to fight diet culture
- Episode 24: Before And After Photos – Comparison, The Thief Of Joy
- Episode 42: Getting Older: Hillary Mcbride On Women And Aging
- Linda Bacon’s book, Body Respect
- Episode 45: Setting Body Talk Boundaries Over The Holidays
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.