Nowadays there is so much technology devoted to assembling information about our daily lives for our analysis – whether we really need it or not. Annie and Jen discuss wearable technology and fitness trackers, and the data we collect about ourselves, how one in three people track their health data and whether that’s a healthy thing or not. The answer is like for most things, it depends. Join us as we explore the reasons to track or not to track and how to improve your relationship with the information you gather about your body.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Trackaholism – do you have it?
- Being mindful about your motivations to track
- Curating your newsfeed and information: finding the line between inspiration and discouragement
- Do we really need to take 10,000 steps?
- Adjusting our expectations and why that’s okay
- Competing against yourself and when that might be unhealthy
- Different ways to track that have nothing to do with numbers
- The things we remember: Fixation on weight and size
- Comparison as the thief of joy
- Signs tracking isn’t serving you
- Zooming out to gain perspective
- What is different between people who use trackers without issue and those who have difficulties
- The importance you place on data and how you use it
- How your relationship with your body impacts how you use wearable devices
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.