Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android
A conversation that comes up frequently in the Balance365 and Healthy Habits Happy Moms communities is around pelvic floor physical therapy. Women want to know what to expect at their first appointment and how physical therapy can help them improve their lives. Jen and Annie brought Dr. Libby Trausch of Breathe Physical Therapy and Wellness onto the podcast to get the lowdown on physical therapy for “down there.”
What you’ll hear on this episode
- The value of a full body assessment from your physiotherapist
- What to expect at your first pelvic floor physiotherapy session
- How an internal exam from a physiotherapist is different from every other internal exam you have experienced
- What is biofeedback?
- Why a rectal exam might be performed and what is being assessed
- How much follow up is involved?
- When should women see a pelvic floor physiotherapist? Can you go too early?
- When is leaking normal and when is it cause for concern?
- Why pelvic floor physiotherapists are the professionals you see for diastasis recti
- The cost and value of pelvic floor physiotherapy
- Personal trainers and pelvic floor physiotherapists – professionals on the same team
- Exercise preferences and pelvic floor physiotherapy – how therapy can work with the activities you already love
- Why pelvic floor physiotherapy can be helpful even if you have never given birth or been pregnant
- Clearance to exercise postpartum and otherwise, what doctors and physiotherapists look for
- How invasive are pelvic internal exams?
- Breathe Physical Therapy and Wellness Website
- Breathe Physical Therapy and Wellness Facebook
- Episode 10: Moving & Managing Pain in Pregnancy with Haylie Lashta Macintosh
Download a copy of this episode’s transcript here.